Wednesday, June 11, 2014

[Challenge] Phil. Polymer Clay Guild "Merry Month of May 2014: Polymer Clay Flowers"

The challenge of the Philippine Polymer Clay Guild for the month of May was ti create something new using polymer clay flowers.  I've been making a lot of floral themed pieces, mostly daisies or simple flowers with 5 petals and I didn't know what to do for this challenge.  Then one day, while I was cleaning my craft room, I found a tutorial about "Orchid Pin or Pendant" that I bought from Ms. Penni Jo Couch during the 2013 Lone Star retreat.  The tutorial was simple, well written and well illustrated. 
Polymer Clay "Rhoda Orchid" Napkin Ring
This is my "Rhoda Orchid."  I named it after my mom who loves and grows orchids back in the Philippines.  There are several varieties of orchids but the color combination that I used in making this one are probably non-existent.  It's more of like a fantasy orchid, if you could call it that.  
Polymer Clay "Rhoda Orchid" Napkin Ring
This project made use of Premo sculpey clay.  I also used Ranger alcohol inks in Sunshine Yellow and Butterscotch to add color to and specks on the white petal.  I like how it turned out - very rustic. I'm planning to make "real life" orchids in white like Cattleyas and green Cymbidium.  They will make pretty sets of napkin rings just like this one for weddings or intimate dainty parties.  Stay tuned for that.

Oh, did I mention that it is National Clay Week?  Yes it is!  

See you soon!
michelle

No comments: