Friday, September 30, 2011

Alcohol Inks + Polymer Clay = FUN!

Alcohol Inks + Polymer Clay = FUN!

Yes, my sister-in-law and I had fun today.  I had a mini-teaching session with her on the basics of polymer clay.  Actually, I just taught her how to condition, roll and stamp on polymer clay.

She bought her Adirondak Alcohol Inks hence, it was our first time to use it on clay.
I conditioned Premo Sculpey White clay and rolled it in the thickest setting of the machine, stamped with an Inkadinkado square floral stamp, added a butterfly finding and finally baked.

After baking, I used Ranger's Adirondak Nature Walk Alcohol Ink Set to add color.
It was helpful that I used cotton pledgets to avoid being messy. 
Just like what I've read in several blogs, alcohol inks really evaporate fast and they have a way of surprising you with how the color will turn out when mixed.  Cool!

When the alcohol ink was completely dry, I added Burnt Umber Acrylic pain to highlight the design.

This photo shows the detail on the side.
The piece was small enough to be a pendant so I made a wired bail.
The piece was layered on a Premo spanish olive clay and stamped with a sentiment that reads:
"To Nanay, With Love... Bing"
Nanay means "Mother" in one of the Philippines' native dilalect.

I gave this pendant to my mother-in-law who is like my own mother.
It thrilled me to see her attach it on a chain and wear it.

There will be more projects using alcohol inks next time.

Do you have tips to share on alcohol inks?

No comments: