Sunday, January 22, 2012

Book: " The Art of Polymer Clay Millefiori Techniques" by Donna Kato

How was your weekend? 
It's been snowing where we are and to keep me warm, I thought of the beautiful flowers of spring.
I spent the weekend reading Donna Kato's book,
 "The Art of Polymer Clay Millefiori Techniques" and was able to make a floral cane.


Millefiori, if translated from Italian literally means "thousand flowers." 
Many polymer clay artists make use of the technique in their art and jewelry. 
The technique looks very complicated and is definitely not for the fainthearted. 
This is actually my nth attempt on this technique.

I decided to follow Donna's instructions in the book in making this daisy cane.
It was really a challenge that needed patience and time.. lots of it.
I had to condition several colors of polymer clay then, made a Skinner blend... rolled... reduced...  cut... reduced... until finally, the petals were formed.
The assembly was fun - I started using 6 petals but figured that I had to use 8.  After some more
reducing, the cane looked pretty decent.

Donna's book was very informative and well-illustrated.  Definitely a good, if not a must-read for the
beginner polymer clay artist.

You know what they say, practice (and patience) makes perfect.

Have a great and creative week friends!
Michelle
Materials:

Premo' Polymer Clay:  Translucent, White, Cadmium Yellow and Black
Amaco Polymer clay conditioner
Sculpey rigid blade
Ceramic tile
Ruler

No comments: