Monday, January 6, 2014

[Baking] Leche Flan / Caramel Custard

The thing with making meringue is that you get a lot of eggyolks.
Remember the Silvanas that I made?  
That recipe used 3 eggwhites which left me with 3 eggyolks and 1 broken egg.  Ngek.  I didn't want to waste it so I added 4 more eggwhites, milk, a squeeze of calamansi  or calamondin and made me some Leche Flan.   It is the Filipino version of creme caramel or caramel custard.  

In my opinion, leche flan should be soft, melts-in-your mouth and with perfectly caramelized sugar.  The secret to making a smooth, bubble free flan is to gently stir and strain the mixture.
I didn't have a small oval pan (llanera) so I used one of my small corrugated pans.  The sugar was perfectly caramelized but it was difficult to release the baked and cooled flan, hence the irregular bumps in the photo below.

Leche Flan
There are a lot of variations in making this popular Filipino delicacy.  The result of my experimentation tonight was delicious - it was smooth but not too creamy.  Maybe because I used 1 whole egg in addition to the 7 eggyolks.  I don't know.  One of my kumares (the mother of my godchild) shared with us her homemade flan that was oh so velvety smooth, creamy and yummy!   Mr. C and I slowly indulged on it over the New Year.  LOL.

Have you tried eating leche flan?  Try it.  
You might love it.
Let me know if you do.

♥  michelle  ♥

No comments: