Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Tutorial: Making Perfect Wire Loops

When I started making jewelry, I hated making wire loops.  My teacher made perfectly round loops that looked so easy but mine were always oblong with dents on the wire from too much uncoiling. 
My beginner loops were never perfectly round.
Practice... practice... practice... (not to mention callouses on my fingers).

Tools and Materials
Flat / Chain nose pliers
Round nose pliers
Wire cutter
Wire or headpins -  I used 1 inch head pins
Beads -  Make sure that your bead/s leave enough wire for you to work with

Steps (kindly refer to the photos):

Insert the bead/s into the wire then with the chain nose pliers, create a right angle bend.

With the round nose pliers held in the horizontal position, grab the wire leaving about 15 mm and twist to make a circle around the jaw of the pliers.  You may adjust the size of the loop by adjusting the pliers (narrow tip and broad base).

When you read the halfway point, reposition the round nose pliers to a vertical position and complete the loop.
Insert the chain, connector or whatever before completely closing the loop.


It entails one smooth wrist movement.  With practice, you will make perfect loops and when you do, you will be addicted to it.

There are days when I just want to make loops and it really becomes handy during times when I am in a hurry to finish a project.


Loop away!
Oh, don't forget to wash your hands after handling too much wire and moisturize those creative hands.

Happy crafting!
Enjoy!


No comments: