Wednesday, February 27, 2013

[Challenge] ABS Feb 2013

Oh... I have always dreamed of seeing cherry blossoms... lots of them!  
Don't you just love this photo?  This is the inspiration for this months' Art Bead Scene challenge.
Heijinja, 1941
Tōshi Yoshida
Woodblock Print

This was printed from a woodblock carved by Toshi Yoshida.  Look at all the detail!  It must have taken the artist a long time carving the minute details.  Check out the carving on the entry way.. awesome!

Pendant made using Vintaj antique copper wire
I wanted to make a piece that would have many "organic components" such as wood and pearls.  The red orange color of the building stands out in the art hence i used it as my main color palette - these ceramic beads were just shouting to be used.  

 I made a wired pendant with pearls and crystals to depict cherry blossom flowers hanging on the branches.  I used Vintaj copper wire in 18g and 24g.
Vintaj antique copper wire, pearls and rondelle crystals hanging like cherry blossoms
In designing the piece, I was debating whether to use copper chain or something else.  In the end, I decided to use suede which I secured by wrapping copper wire around the ends.  It turned out pretty good I think - it completed the organic feel of the necklace.
Cherry blossom garden Decoemboss die

I added a 1 inch Vintaj antique brass blank that I embossed using their cherry blossom garden die.  Then, I used Vintaj patina in moss and ruby and sanded it to emphasize the design.

Just when I thought spring is almost here, it's been so cold and windy this past few days.  No matter the weather, I will keep on dreaming of cherry blossoms.

Be blessed!
♥  Michelle  ♥

No comments: