Tuesday, July 16, 2013

[Baking] Pinipig Cookies / Immature Glutinous Rice

We are halfway through July and that means summer is almost over for those in school.  I have fond memories of summer.  My mom is a professor in the college of nursing so summer meant that she was also on vacation.  Yay!  
One of my fondest memories is baking Pinipig Cookies.
Pinipig is immature glutinous rice that is harvested and pounded into what look more like light green flakes.  It can be eaten raw but it is most often toasted.  A friend of ours gave this to me when we had our 4th of July barbecue where she served a Filipino dessert called halo-halo (more about this next time) that used pinipig as one of the toppings.  
Pinipig / Immature Glutinous Rice
I have been craving for Pinipig Cookies and I finally got the chance to bake it tonight!  I was invited to have dinner with friends and since I didn't have anything thawed to cook and bring, I decided to bake.  This took me 50 minutes to make and that included the time spent with google. 
Pinipig Cookies
 I used the recipe from Apple Pie, Patis Pate'.  
All of the ingredients were readily available in my kitchen.
Ingredients:
3/4 cup Pinipig (you can find this in Asian stores) - lightly toasted and cooled
1/2 cup All purpose flour
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/8 tsp Salt
1/4 cup Unsalted butter
1/3 cup Sugar
1 Large Egg
1/4 tsp Lemon zest

Procedure:
Preheat oven to 175C or 350F.
Combine the dry ingredients:  APF, BP and salt.  Set aside.
Beat the soft butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and beat until fully incorporated. Add the lemon zest (*or 1/2 tsp of lemon extract - edited by me).

Procedure:
Preheat oven to 175C or 350F.
Combine the dry ingredients:  APF, BP and salt.  Set aside.
Beat the soft butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and beat until fully incorporated. Add the lemon zest (*** or 1/2 tsp of lemon extract - edited by me).

Carefully add the dry ingredients and mix well.  The mixture will be sticky then add the pinipig.
Gently scoop the pinipig mixture into the cookie sheet - I didn't line mine because I used a coated cookie pan.  I used a round measuring spoon (1/2 TBSP size) and dropped the cookies in the pan.
Pinipig Cookies

Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the base is lightly brown.  Transfer in a cooling rack to cool.  
I was able to make 20 cookies.

Nothing tastes better than freshly baked homemade cookies.  My hosts said it was good and I thought so too.  Try it - it's soft with bits of crunch and this particular recipe is not sweet at all.

Bon apetit!
♥  michelle  ♥

No comments: